11.16.2009

Pretentious Cups

So today I was thinking about coffee orders when I was driving back from the dutch brothers drive through, and I began to wonder who REALLY orders some of thoose beverages. Which then got me thinking about some of the orders that I would get when I worked for one month as a barista at paradise bakery.

On my first day someone came in "a regular" costumer as he was known by all the other experienced employees. He ordered a latte. simple. so you think. BUT in his latte he wanted his milk warmed up to a certain degree. 125 degrees. For all of you who aren't aware milk in coffee is heated up to about 130-140, but his needed to be 125.
I was taken back by his order ONE) because it was my first beverage to be made, and TWO) because I knew he was just doing this to be pretentious and unique. You know, the ones that can't wear black when everyone is wearing black, that love to disagree to be unique, can't go anywhere without making a statement, sharing a view. The conforming conformist. (this is a whole other blog)


So you know what I did.....I heated his milk up normally, rang up his tab, and sent him on his way. He came in everyday I worked, and I heated it up to 130, and he never knew. This is probably why I only worked for a month.


Then there is the costumer that says "Yes hi I'll have a tall half-skinny half-1 percent extra hot split quad shot (two shots decaf, two shots regular) latte with whip." (cited as one of the most complicated starbucks orders of all time)
You know what I did to these people. I judged them. I continually judge them.



My last point is: the syrups. Yes the ones you see lined up in a row everytime you pay: there is vanilla, hazelnut, classic, caramel. Those I am fine with.

Then there are: kiwi, coconut, pina colada, and lime. If I ever hear of anyone ordering one of these syrups...I will judge them.


While writing this Melissa is commenting on how she orders because she doesn't like the blog I am writing. So this is what Melissa orders at starbucks: non fat sugar free vanilla latte with no foam. This order sounds delicious......not.


Until next time, keep it simple, keep it classic(syrup), keep it at 130 degrees.

1 comment:

  1. I hate conforming conformists! Also, DB rocks! The coolest people work there, you know, the 5ft tall ones...

    ReplyDelete